These classic blue and white, Old Willow milk cup and saucer duos were produced by Swinnertons in Hanley, one of the Staffordshire Potteries between 1936 and 1941. Old Willow, was their version of the world famous Willow Pattern.
They are transfer printed and finished in a clear glaze on a cream ground.
Approximate dimensions :
Cup x 4 - 2.75 inches | 75mm high
Saucer x 4 - 5.5 inches | 140cm wide
A tiny scuff to the rim of one cup and some clean age-related crazing are mentioned for completeness.
In excellent vintage condition.
There are two other lots in this range which are listed separately.
Swinnerton’s began life in 1885 when Bertram John Swinnerton started a business in Hanley, Stoke on Trent which grew through the purchase of various different sites in the coming years. The most famous called the Vulcan Pottery. They had an agent who showed their wares in London’s famous Hatton Garden.
After Mr Swinnerton’s untimely death in 1913, William Linley (his partner at the time), took Victor Alcock and later William Bloor into the business and later formed a new company (c.1919) retaining the Swinnerton’s name for the original part of the business and buying up Smith and Co’s teapot factory with the two companies known collectively as Allied Houses. The teapot side of the business grew after several more business purchases however the second world war interrupted proceedings and although manufacturing continued during this time, some of their factories were closed.
By August 1952 the redevelopment of the Vulcan Pottery was completed and the Swinnerton’s name continued.
After the death of Victor Alcock in 1958 the Swinnerton’s group was absorbed by the Lawley Group in 1959, in 1964 the Lawley Group became part of Allied English Potteries and the Swinnerton's name appears to have ceased. When AEP merged with Royal Doulton 1973, Swinnerton’s fate was finally sealed.
All our items are pre-owned or vintage and may therefore show signs of use and age and will not be dishwasher proof.