Two Susie Cooper tea or side plates in the Wedding Band (Wedding Ring) design. Concentric rings decorate the cream ground. The colours are slightly more muted than show in the photo and the inner ring is greenish.
Susie Cooper was offered space at the Crown Works, Newcastle Street, Burslem by Henry Wood in 1931 to run her fledgling business and these plates date from that time.
The Crown Pottery was one of the first potteries in the Stoke on Trent area with a Dressler tunnel kiln which was oil fired and could produce more items, faster in a single batch than the smaller bottle kilns.
Wood and Sons became the main supplier of white ware for the Susie Cooper pottery and by 1933 the pottery had become an associate member of Wood and Sons. Susie Cooper was a director and shareholder before buying the factory in 1959 retaining full artistic control.
Approximate dimensions : 7.75" / 20cm
These items date from the 1930s and are at least 90 years old. The plates have been used during this time but there are no chips or cracks.
Backstamp in use from 1932. Impressed mark 14.
All our items are pre-owned and vintage and may therefore show signs of use and age and will not be dishwasher proof.