Ridgway | Gaywood | Side Plate x 4 | 1960s
Ridgway | Gaywood | Side Plate x 4 | 1960s
Ridgway | Gaywood | Side Plate x 4 | 1960s
Ridgway | Gaywood | Side Plate x 4 | 1960s
Ridgway | Gaywood | Side Plate x 4 | 1960s

Ridgway | Gaywood | Side Plate x 4 | 1960s

£12.00
Stock Status: In Stock
Information

From Ridgway - one of the Staffordshire potteries - we have four tea or side plates in the Gaywood pattern.  Decorated on a cream ground are autumnal leaves in green, grey, brown and with berries in russet.

Ridgways, at Bedford Works, Shelton, was founded by Edward J. Ridgway, son of the famous Master Potter William Ridgway of Hanley.  In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Job and George Ridgway were making for the American market, supplying the New World with decorated wares-showing American buildings, scenery, arms of the United States, portraits of Washington and other Americana.

John Ridgway was appointed Potter to Her Majesty Queen Victoria and earned high commendation at the 1851 Exhibition. The catalogue stated that 'The establishment of Mr. Ridgway is one of the largest and among the best conducted of the many factories of Staffordshire'.  Ridgway materially assisted in establishing a School of Design and founded a scholarship for it.

Ridgways Potteries which produced our items specialised in vitrified wares, tiles and a full range of earthenware tea and dinner sets.  They closed in 1964.

Approximate dimensions:
6.875 inches | 175mm

In excellent vintage condition.

Backstamp.

Four pretty plates to serve your cakes, sandwiches or scones.

All our items are pre-owned and vintage and may therefore show signs of use and age and will not be dishwasher proof. 

Specifications
  • Brand:
    Ridgway
  • Product Code:
    33/13899/0020/w
  • Weight:
    1.7kg