Three earthenware plates in an unusual ovoid shape decorated with a pattern of cereal grasses depicted in red, brown, green and blue on a flecked stone ground.
W. H. Grindley was an English pottery company which made earthenware and ironstone tableware, including flow blue. Founded in 1880 by William Harry Grindley (b. 1859) and Alfred Meakin (connected to the J & G Meakin company) at the Newfield Pottery, Tunstall - one of the Staffordshire potteries. The partnership ended in 1884 and Grindley continued alone. Moved to the Woodland Pottery in 1891. William Harry Grindley died in 1926. Pattern books and records from 1880-1930 are in the Stoke-on-Trent City Archives.
Taken over by Alfred Clough in 1960 and became known as Grindley of Stoke in 1978. The company bought Ceramix in 1980 and was itself bought by Federated Potteries in 1982 before being bought back by W H Grindley in 1988. The company went into receivership in 1991 and was taken over by Woodlands Pottery.
Approximate dimensions : 6.5 inches / 16.5cm x 6 inches / 15cm
Under the plates are some stacking marks/flakes.
Three most pretty pieces for use or as display items.
Backstamp in use since 1954.
All our items are pre-owned and vintage and may therefore show signs of use and age and will not be dishwasher proof.